Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving and Skyline Drive


The drive by the Shenandoah National Park took us to the top where everything looked small and insignificant. The grandeur is another thing by itself. We made a few stops along the way at our favorite overlooks and stopped at Big Meadows to spend some time. I for one got on the hiking trail and spent some quiet time. When next we go, I promise to visit the park's wilderness area. It offers outstanding opportunity for solitude and recreation. But before you cock your head and start thinking “Weirdo”. Wilderness offers respite from hectic daily life and provides natural habitat for wildlife and wildflowers. I sure would love to contemplate the human history held within the mountains. That will be nice, wouldn’t it?


Then it’s off again to another place, Hampton and Virginia Beach. The drive is peaceful. Well we left at 11:19 PM on November 24th to arrive around 3:00 AM. I listened to my beautiful songs mostly contemporary jazz and pop music and reminisce on thanksgiving. Dupe and the kids are all asleep by now. It was my colleague Anne Vasil who had it on her wall and it is something that I cherish greatly. She must have either picked it up at a flea market or perhaps it was a gift. I never asked, but I liked it a lot and it rings true now.
"Gratitude is the power that brings more to you of what you are grateful for" It improves relationships and reduces negativity. For me, the process of appreciation is the pathway.

No comments: